Re: still unable to get kernel source

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 09:03:21PM -0500, John Reinke wrote:
> Okay, I've tried getting the kernel sources from different places,
> decompressing the files in different ways, and finding the files so I can
> even start to configure a kernel.
>
> I've done it before, but I guess all the files were already there for me.
>
> Can someone PLEASE just give the step-by-step instructions for downloading
> and preparing the kernel source? Go ahead and treat me like a
> five-year-old, I need to get this done right away. I can take over from
> the "make xconfig" part - I've done that much before.
>
> I am running potato, and would like to use the 2.2.17 kernel if possible.

Well, the simplest way to go about it..

1) apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.17

2) cd /usr/src and tar Ixvf kernel-source-2.2.17.tar.bz2

And then from there you should be able to cd into the directory
it extracted to and start the make xconfig and all that good stuff,
unless you're missing devel packages for compiling the kernel like bin86
and libc6-dev, and also tk8.2-dev (that's in Woody, Potato might have
different version number) if you use make xconfig.

> If there is a web page that clearly explains this for Debian, I might be
> able to get a browser going to look at it, but this really should be just
> a few lines, right?

My advice:  apt-get install kernel-package (if you don't already have it
installed) and read /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.

Tom

Disclaimer:  I'm using Woody, and just assuming that you can apt-get
the 2.2.17 version of the kernel from Potato... I apologize if I'm
incorrect.