Re: Prepositions [was Re: Expiring mail]

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 12:43:26PM -0400, Christopher Mosley wrote:
> > Maildir format might be found at qmail but I really don't know. Perhaps
> > there is info there on how to do this, it seems to be something people
> > would be in need of - I mean -  something for which there is a need.
> > Why on earth shouldn't a sentence end with a preposition?
>
> I have at least one style guide that says it is perfectly fine to end a
> sentence with a preposition.  It can be confusing in some contexts,
> though.  Hence the "rule".  You do have a run-on sentence there. But
> that's a different matter.

With respect to the "preposition", I think the proper term in this case
is "enclitic".  It is really part of the verb.  So it is ok to say:

That is something I won't put up with.

Instead of:

That is something up with which I will not put.

To mildly misquote Winston Churchill.

Cam