Re: proper permissions for /usr/src/linux

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 09:58:59PM -0400, Brian Stults wrote:
> What are the best permissions for this directory.  I only ask because I
> noticed that on my home machine, they were as follows:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   15 1046     telnetd      4096 Aug  6 23:04 linux
>
> And at work, they were like this:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   15 1026     user         2048 Jul  9 20:19 linux
>
> Any suggestions?  Also, what would have determined what the permissions

root.root, root.src or build.src which is what i use.

> were by default?  The original permissions in the tarball?  Lastly, I

yes the owner/permissions are extracted from the tarball, which is one
reason i don't extract tarballs as root (unless its very trusted and
there is a real reason to) since normal users cannot use chown() the
saved ugids are not restored by tar.

another good reason to avoid extracting tarballs as root is one could
send you a tarball with a file /etc/passwd (with the absolute path
embedded), if you extract it as root your /etc/passwd would be
replaced...  however most modern tars always prepend a . to file paths
so /etc/passwd would become ./etc/passwd, even so one could use an
old, dumb tar or hexedit the .tar file themselves.  i think gnu tar
may force a ./ to the beginning of all paths anyway making this
particular issue moot.  but still the less you do as root the better.

> recall reading somewhere that some directories elsewhere should be
> symlinks to something in the kernel source directory.  Perhaps
> /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm?  Is there anything to that?
> Where would I find out such information?

no, /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm should NOT be symlinked
into your kernel tree.  debian does this right unlike most redhat
distros.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/