Re: grub problem: cannot read from drive

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 08:27:48PM -0500, Pat Mahoney wrote:

> I have grub on mbr of /dev/hda.  I have a new harddrive at /dev/hdc
> with Debian.  I have an older, 200meg hard drive at /dev/hdb.
>
> I am trying to install Debian onto /dev/hdb1.  I have done so, but I
> cannot get grub to boot it.  When I am at grub command line, I type
> this:
>
> kernel (hd1,0)/

thats wrong... do:

root (hd1,0)
kernel=/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
boot

the first line tells Grub, where to look for the kernel to boot. the
second line specifies the kernel. linux needs a parameter "root=", to
know which partition it should mount as /.

	moritz
--
/* Moritz Schulte <moritz@hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de>
 * http://hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de/~moritz/