Re: prob mounting cdrom,

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 12:58:11PM -0500, Chris Nestrud wrote:
> Hello list. I'm having a
> problem mounting my cdrom. I've configured the kernel to treat it
> as a scsi device, so
> cdrecord will work, and cdrecord does indeed work and successfully burn
> cd's. However, when I try to mount, here's what I get.
> pfui:/# mount cdrom
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems
[snip]

/dev/cdrom, which is what you're trying to mount, is not an actual
device--instead, it's an easy-to-remember symlink to hdd (which means
"slave drive on seconday IDE port").  I assume that's where your CDROM
drive is, and that the symlink was set up for you automatically during
installation--that's typical.

When you put the drive under SCSI emulation though, you need to use a
SCSI device for it instead of the IDE device.  Assuming that's your only
SCSI (or SCSI-emulated) CDR(OM) drive, that's most likely /dev/sr0 (maybe
/dev/scd0 would work too, but sr0 usually works better for me..).

So, you could do one of two things:

1) Change the /dev/cdrom symlink to point to /dev/sr0 instead of
   /dev/hdd,

OR

2) Edit /etc/fstab and change /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0

This reminds me of a little issue I'm having with ide-scsi I need to
post about..  Anyway, I hope that helps.

Tom