Failed reboot after upgrade

Hi
I have just upgraded from 2.1 to frozen. I had some difficulty with
apt but the list helped me past it and all seemed well.

So I tried to reboot but the reboot failed.
Some of the messages at reboot were about looking for a cdrom-
one brand after another, at 0x340 or 0x280 or 0x638 and on and on;
others were about attempts to load modules
and others about kernel mismatches. It finally hung.

I pushed reset and choose a different kernel at the lilo prompt
and that did boot but only after many 'unable to handle kernel
paging request' messages during 'process modpobe.'

The kernel that worked is 2.0.36; the one I normally use is 2.0.34 and
that is what was running when I upgraded.

I did not change anything, that I know of, that had to do with modules.
The release notes say if upgrading from Debian 2.0 or earlier that
'update-modules force' should be run, but since I had 2.1 I did not
do that.

I do have the script record of the upgrade.

Help.

Please respond to me at chuck@uri.edu.

Thanks
Charles Kaufman