Re: newbie alert!!!

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 07:28:01PM -0700, Bill Garneau wrote:
> After tooling around w/ Corel for a bit I decided to
> step up to the plate....
>
> I installed Debian all right (I think) I didn't know
> most of the answers to the config portion of the
> install so I went with the defaults most of the time.
> Anyway I'm trying to fire up X Windows and using the
> command /usr/X11R6/bin/startx and I am getting the
> error message
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> giving up.
> xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to
> connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> Do I not have X Windows installed? not installed
> correctly? Or I am I totally lost?

Obviously you have something X installed.  Presumably you haven't
configured it.  There are two basic tools to configure X: xf86config and
XF86Setup.  The first is a console based tool and comes with
xserver-common (which you *must* have).  The second is a graphical tool,
is in the xf86setup package and requires the xserver-vga16 server.  You
most likely will want another server, commonly xserver-svga (but may be
different depending on your video card).  You will need to know the type
of video card and possibly the amount of video ram.  You will also want
to know the horizontal and vertical sync frequency ranges for your
monitor (though you can choose cautiously and probably won't ruin your
monitor *iff* it is a MultiSync).  So run one of those two, and give it
a go.  If using XF86Setup, you can adjust the "modelines" with xvidtune.
Oops, almost forgot, you need to know your mouse type and the "device"
it is on (often /dev/psaux). Confused! I know I sure was the first time
around.

--
MegaHAL quote:
	I think a blowpipe is a marijuana cigarrette.