Re: newbie alert!!!

It sounds like you haven't configured X yet or it isn't starting
correctly.

Though debian documentation suggest running xf86config to get X running,
I like to use XF86Setup since I've found it's interactive nature makes
it easier to find your mouse.

Check if an xserver is installed by typing:
$ dpkg -l | grep xserver