apt-get/install-info problem

Hello,

I have been trying for the last couple of days to do a distro
upgrade from the frozen package archive using apt-get. Lots of the
packages installed OK but I have run into a problem that has things
stuck.  I have tried all sorts of things to see if they worked as
a work around.  i.e. apt-get -f install, apt-get --fix-broken
dist-upgrade,
dpkg -i <package>

All these methods have failed in the same way leaving many packages
reported iU or iF when listing the installed packages with "dpkg --list"

The funny thing is when I look at the contents of the .deb package (say
for make_-----.deb) and then look to see if the files in that package
are installed, well they are.  Running the command, i.e. make --version,
returns the correct version number and no execution errors.

The most current (from frozen) of ldso, libc6, and dpkg are installed
OK.

I am really stuck here so if anyone has any ideas about this I sure
would
appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks, Tracy Tilton

Here is the error message(s) that occurs;

******** BEGIN INCLUDED ERROR MESSAGE TEXT
**********************************

bash# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 20 not upgraded.
51 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/277kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
IO::Socket::INET: Address already in use at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/FrontEnd/Web.pm line 50
debconf: failed to initialize Web frontend
debconf: falling back to Gtk frontend
debconf: failed to initialize Gtk frontend
debconf: falling back to Dialog frontend
debconf: failed to initialize Dialog frontend
debconf: falling back to Text frontend
(Reading database ... 60329 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace make 3.78.1-8 (using .../make_3.78.1-8_i386.deb)
syntax error at /usr/sbin/install-info line 122, near ")        unless"
syntax error at /usr/sbin/install-info line 326, near "unless"
Execution of /usr/sbin/install-info aborted due to compilation errors.
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 255
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
syntax error at /usr/sbin/install-info line 122, near ")        unless"
syntax error at /usr/sbin/install-info line 326, near "unless"
Execution of /usr/sbin/install-info aborted due to compilation errors.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/make_3.78.1-8_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 255
syntax error at /usr/sbin/install-info line 122, near ")        unless"
syntax error at /usr/sbin/install-info line 326, near "unless"
Execution of /usr/sbin/install-info aborted due to compilation errors.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
 /var/cache/apt/archives/make_3.78.1-8_i386.deb
bash#

***************END INCLUDED ERROR MESSAGE