*delete* a default gw route?

I'm testing a firewall setup on my home system.  Principle network
connection is the internal modem of my desktop.  I'm trying to route
through my firewall box instead.

While I can set up the network and add a default gw through the
firewall, I don't seem to be able to remove the default entry
corresponding to the ppp connection from my desktop.  "route delete
default gw <dialup-fqdn>" just hangs.

Am I doing the right thing?  Is this necessary?  Ideally, I'd like to
have the FW be the primary gateway, but use the second modem connection
on an ad-hoc basis.  I assume I'll need to do some sort of serial
balancing or juggle with metrics to do this....

Typical routing table below:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
sji-ca-pm1.icg. *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
introspect      *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         sji-ca-pm1.icg. 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0

Hmmm... thought occurs that "sji-ca-pm1.icg." is truncated.  Might that
be a part of the problem?