Re: Uh oh! I ruined my kernel!

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 03:57:18PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I did a complete system upgrade yesterday (nothing in my computer is
> the same as it was anymore), so I was recompiling the kernel, and I
> guess I configured something wrong, cause now my computer won't
> boot-up.  _I'm not concerned about fixing it,_ I just want to start
> over, but I can't seem to reinstall debian, because when I boot off
> the 2.1 CD, and I hit 'enter' to boot, it loads the bad kernel image
> off my hard drive, instead of the one on the CD.  I read the help (by
> pressing F1-F4), and it said something about typing 'default' and then
> hitting enter, but then it just tells me that their is no kernel image
> 'default'.  Just wondering how I can load the CD's kernel image.

Investigate the boot-prompt HOWTO if you want, or just go ahead and boot
"rescue".  You can switch to the second virtual console, get a shell,
and proceed to fix up your system.  One standard trick is to mount your
hard disk someplace and chroot into it to fix up the system.

If you saved your old kernel image, you should be able to just point
LILO at it and boot it.

It's usually a good idea to leave stanzas for known-good kernels in
/etc/lilo.conf.

Remember to re-run lilo to commit the changes to your boot record.