Re: some questions

Le 2000-08-02 11:28:52 +0300, Tzafrir Cohen écrivait :
> 1. When using a network adapter whose driver is compiled as a module -
> where does this module get loaded?
> I currently added a simple modprobe line to /etc/init.d/networking , but
> there has to be a better way. On RedHat loading this module is done by the
> ifup script.

During the boot sequence, they are loaded by /etc/init.d/modutils, which is
started during the single user mode.

To configure this, use modconf.

>From modconf, load your module with the correct parameters (if any).
Modconf will save the modules parameters, and ensure it is loaded
every time your systems is started.

(To be precise, the module name will be added to /etc/modules,
 the parameters will be saved to /etc/modutils/module-name,
 and update-modules will be used to rebuild the /etc/modules.conf
 file).

> 4. manipulating rc?.d
> On RedHat there's a simple program called chkconfig for simple
> manipulations of the symlinks in the rc?.d directories. It gets its
> default values from some lines in the init.d scrip itself and has --add
> and --remove . The update-rc.d seems to be only useful for package
> installation and package removal.
> I can always change those symlinks manually, but this can be a bit
> erro-prone.

You can use the file-rc package . It will replace the multiple rc?.d
directories and symlinks by a single file you can edit with a text
editor ( /etc/runlevel.conf ).

> 5. Single-user mode loads a whole bunch of stuff that are not really
> needed.
> What is the recomended way to load "failsafe" defaults? Using a floppy?

Maybe you need to remove some packages you do not use ? Looking at what
is launched in single user mode here, I do not really see a lot of unwanted
stuff.

Hope it helps.

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard