Solved: update-alternatives -- changing preferences

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 11:06:57AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com said:
> > The above will add "emacs" into the list of available alternatives for
> > "editor".  By what divers black majik a particular application is chosen
> > I'm not sure.
>
> Despite the claim at the top of --display's output, "auto" appears to be an
> action rather than a state.  When you execute `update-alternatives --auto
> <name>`, the highest priority option is assigned to the link (in the case of
> a tie, the first item listed with the highest priority is chosen, IIRC).
>
> However, this automatic selection can be overridden with `update-alternatives
> --config <name>` to force a specific option - yet it continues to claim
> "status is auto."
>
> > ...what is the "correct" way to have "wmaker" be "Current 'best'
> > version"?
>
> The easy way would be
>
> update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
> and select wmaker from the list to be your default.

THANK you, Dave!  That's exactly what I was looking for.

<rant>
That's the option which the manpage, in its verbosity, fails to make
clear.  Ok, there is a paragraph buried at the end of the "DESCRIPTION"
section, but it's a bit buried.

Examples here would be very useful.
</rant>