ensoniq soundcard install

I'm tring to install a creative ensoniq soundcard (pci) in kernel 2.2.16.
It supports the card, I can connect to the volume meter, but I can't
connect to the mixer (this is in gnome panel). When I issue esd as super
user, it makes sounds.. Anyone know what I'm missing here? I also have
some yamaha modules oplsa, etc, showing when I run lsmod. If I issue
rmmod it says the modules aren't loaded. Are they causing any problems,
should I remove them forcibly. Aaarrrgggghhhh! Getting this soundcard to
work is difficult.