Re: common questions

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 01:39:19PM +0000, Joseph de los Santos wrote:

>     1.what is the equivalent of  the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file of RedHat in
> Debian?
>      (because I need to load ip masq modules and to enable ip masq to run
> automatically after each reboot)

see /etc/rcS.d/README.

>    3. I keep getting this error "kernel:klogd 1.3-3#3- log source=/proc/kmsg
> started
>                                         "kernel: cannot find map file"
>
>           I think this has to do with me recompiling a new kernel. My question
> is where can I find this map file? is it the same "System.map" found in the
> new /usr/src/linux directory? should I just copy System.map to the /boot
> directory and rename it to map? would that solve the problem?

yes, it's the System.map. copy it to /boot/System.map<your kernel
suffix>.
for example if your kernel is /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-foobar, copy the
System.map to /boot/System.map-2.4.0-foobar.

BTW: you can also use the 'kernel-package' for compiling a new
kernel. really cool and it manages the System.map's, too.

	moritz
--
/* Moritz Schulte <moritz@hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de>
 * http://hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de/~moritz/