Re: route delete

Peter Palfrader wrote:

> Hi Peter!

Hi Peter!  :-)

> > > Sure, just use apt-get.
> > >
> > > Detailed information can be found at
> > > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/upgrade-i386/Release-Notes
> >
> > Hmmm.  On the contrary, that file only mentions the old network script:
> >
> >         * The `/etc/init.d/network' script, as set up by the old Debian
> >           installation procedures, prints error messages with the new
> >           kernel; this can be fixed by adding proper `netmask' and `dev'
> >           options to `route' invocations in that file.
> >
> > Searching for the word `net' I found no mention of the new
> > method!  Did I miss something silly?
>
> Nope I did :) I though you were talking about upgrading when in fact you
> meant what you wrote :)

I did mean upgrading.  Upgrading from slink to potato
does not convert the /etc/init.d/network file to
/etc/network/interfaces format.  It's okay, I can figure it out,
but I'm sure many users will be surprised that this isn't done
automagically.

e.g.

- netbase.postinst spits out this text:

  "If you setup /etc/network/interfaces appropriately, you should be
   able to use /etc/init.d/networking and the ifup and ifdown command
   in place of /etc/init.d/network."

- Hmm, setup /etc/network/interfaces appropriately in place of
  /etc/init.d/network, but no man page is mentioned, nor any
  docs.  Go look at /etc/network/interfaces to find references to
  interfaces(5) manpage and /usr/share/doc/netbase/examples

It's okay, just not optimal.

Peter