soundcard

After banging my head on the keyboard for hours trying to install my
yamaha oplsax isapnp sound card, I'm ready to give up and buy a pci
card. Any suggestions on what might be the easiest for a debian newbie
to install? I'm not interested in extremely high quality, would like to
keep the price around $50, and in the future will probably get a cd
burner setup installed. I'm currently running kernel 2.2.16 on an ftp
install (there seem to be lots of packages I didn't install using the
'simple' switch for package selection)