Re: some tcsh questions

    >> <plug subject=zsh> Do yourself a favor and try zsh first... even
    >> before tcsh (in other words: get rid of that), but certainly before
    >> bash.  Go with the package in potato, or better yet, with 3.1.9* in
    >> woody.  I'd bet you will *not* regret it...  </plug>

    Jonas> Done.. =) Now I'll just have to take myself time and try it
    Jonas> out thourily..

Start with the best feature: completion.  There's a script,
/usr/share/zsh/functions/compinstall.  Source that
(". /usr/share/...."), and, voila, a menu for configuring the
completion system.

Badass, I tell you... ;-)

    >> Stupid question: you know that those ^ thingies are control
    >> codes, right?  Now I don't know whether tcsh understand ^[ (two
    >> ascii chars) to be ESC automagically or not...  make sure those
    >> are one char (in Emacs or jed, type ctrl-q and then the char
    >> (esc or ctrl-g).  vi?  I don't even have one one this system
    >> ;-)

    Jonas> I tried that and I still can't seem to get it to work with
    Jonas> tcsh. Might be me doing something stupid thou. Haven't
    Jonas> tried it in zsh yet.

Maybee it's tcsh... don't know, works for me, sorry.

    Jonas> While I'm at it, I'll get another tcsh issue of my
    Jonas> chest. Is there any possibility to get TAB to do the the
    Jonas> tcsh list-glob function (lists global patterns) aswell as
    Jonas> the commands-, dir-, var-, env-completion that it does by
    Jonas> default?
    >>
    >> Don't know what this means... I only know <plug subject=zsh>zsh's

    Jonas> list-glob lists all matches to a global-pattern. If i type
    Jonas> "ls ~/www/*.html" it'll give me a list of matches. I tried
    Jonas> this in zsh actually and it expanded the pattern on the
    Jonas> commandline for me when I pressed TAB, like the expand-glob
    Jonas> in tcsh =). Not exactly what I wanted, but close
    Jonas> enough.. There might even be a setting somewhere to change
    Jonas> it, but I just haven´t got the strength to look it up in
    Jonas> the zsh manpage just yet.. I've had enough of manpages for
    Jonas> a while. ;)

Closer is glob_complete (setopt globcomplete).

But probably not exactly what you want... it expands the word in the
command line and steps through the completions via TAB.

The original *.html is gone, so pressing ENTER would jsut deal with
one.

Though, maybe that is what you want.  But probably not.  OTOH,
mentioning it on zsh-users might bring a surprise (the zsh folks are
always willing to make zsh even fancier ;-) (zsh-users is gated into
zsh-workers).

Bye, J

--
Jürgen A. Erhard      eMail: jae@ilk.de      phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326