Re: Aureal Vortex patch

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Patrick Cherry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had any problems with installing the sound module for the
> Aureal Sonic Vortex2?
>

> I've downloaded the source from linux.aureal.com and applied the patch
> supplied from www.debian.org/~jaldhar/vortex .  Followed the instructions
> to the tee, and it hasn't worked...

Somebody sent me a couple of corrections to my instructions but I can't
remember if I updated the page or not.  I'll go and check.  Even so, the
instructions should basically be good and I have heard of successes.

> When the package compiles I get an error saying that `linux/modversions.h'
> doesn't exist.  I have tried searching my system for it, and dpkg too, but
> no luck.

Ok, the problem probably is you don't have the kernel source installed.

# apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.15

Then:

# cd /usr/src

There will be a tarball here with the kernel source in it.  Uncompress it
like this:

# tar xIf kernel-source-2.2.15.tar.bz2

last step:

# ln -s kernel-source-2.2.15 linux

Now you can follow the instructions and everything should work.

Btw, the reason you have to go through all this trouble is that the driver
is proprietary.  I was going to ask for permission to include it in Debian
but Aureal is now bankrupt.  The good news is that there are people
working on an open source driver (I read about it on Freshmeat or
somewhere) and after I'm finished working on my existing packages, I'm
going to check it out and hopefully we can include it in the distribution.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>