Re: System locked and now complains at startup about modules

* Jeronimo Pellegrini <pellegrini@mpcnet.com.br> [000805 11:57]:
> To see what could be the problem, I left the system with xmms running
> while I was out for 4 hours. When I came back, the keyboard was
> non-functionl, and nothing worked... Since it's a standalone box, I
> hadto reset it. I was sort of expecting this (I was actually trying to
> rule out some applications that could be locking the system)

Two weeks ago I tried xmms with the same result: a locked system; I
think this app is broken. Don't use it (try freeamp), and see what
happen.

> But at startup, it now makes strange complaints, like:
>
> modprobe: can't locate module #
> modprobe: can't locate module are
> modprobe: can't locate module with
>
> But these are parts of commented lines in /etc/modules!!!

As you say, this is not a problem; but only for curiosity, take a look
at /etc/init.d/modutils: this script parses /etc/modules at init with a
loop; mine (from potato) is:

# Loop over every line in /etc/modules.
echo -n 'Loading modules: '
(cat /etc/modules; echo) | # make sure there is a LF at the end
while read module args
do
        case "$module" in
                auto)   [ ${startkerneld} -eq 0 -a -x /sbin/kerneld ] && \
                        echo && /etc/init.d/kerneld start && startkerneld=1;
                        continue ;;
                noauto) continue ;;
                \#*|"") continue ;;  # <- this strip comments
        esac
        echo -n "$module "
        modprobe $module $args
done

Play doing this by hand, or make a test script using echo to see what's
going on.

--
David