Re: xterm and shell behaviors

The system defaults for X apps are under usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults. The
user preferences are read from ~/.Xresources and/or ~/.Xdefaults.  The
preferences for colors and what to do with ^G (the beep) can be set in these
files.  The manpages for xrdb and xterm should be helpful also.  To save you
some reading, try adding these to your ~/.Xresources:

XTerm*background:       black
XTerm*foreground:       gray
XTerm*visualBell:       False

See the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt for a comprehensive list of the
color names that X will recognize, or just use the #rrggbb hex codes.

I know there are solutions for the backspace/delete thing, but I have not
dealt with it in some time.  There are many ways to tackle this one.  Might
I suggest that you try rxvt instead of xterm?  The default Debian rxvt has
the correct (imho) backspace/delete mappings.