Re: gnus-list-identifiers

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

>     Felix> Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:
>     >> If I get a mailing list that prefixes subject lines with
>     >> [Cocoon Devel], how do I remove it?
>     >>
>     >> In earlier versions of Gnus, this worked:
>     >>
>     >> (setq gnus-list-identifiers "\\(\\[Cocoon Devel\\]\\)")
>
>     Felix> It seems like with Gnus 5.8.7, you have to omit the
>     Felix> subexpression-saving braces (\\(...\\)).
>
>     >> however, as of 5.8.7 it no longer works :-(
>
>     Felix> I remember having read about this in the manual - it seems
>     Felix> like it was mentioned like this in there. Maybe this is
>     Felix> still an error in the manual.  Can you tell me where this
>     Felix> is described ?
>
> Info Page --> Article Treatment --> Article Hiding
>
> and
>
> C-h v gnus-list-identifiers
>
> If you can no longer use a regexps (like the documentation says you
> can), then I don't know how it could work for more then one mailing
> list. However, at the moment I only do have one mailing list, so I
> will try that.

No. you still use a regular expression, but without "\\(..\\)" surrounding
it (this was used for subexpression replacement. i.e.
you have str="hello world...", then you do
(string-match "\\(hello\\) world.*" str)
which gives you
(match-string 1) => "hello"
and you can easily replace the subexpression with "").
If you still do this, it will confuse Gnus because your regular-expression
is wrapped in another one, which uses \\(..\\) to find subexpressions..

C-h v gnus-list-identifiers:

gnus-list-identifiers's value is
nil

Documentation:
Regexp that matches list identifiers to be removed from subject.
This can also be a list of regexps.

You can customize this variable.

Defined in `gnus-sum'.
--