Re: holly crap!

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 11:13:04PM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

>      Help,  PLEASE HELP
>

> I've done somethig very bad.. I did:
>
> rm * /var/spool/fax/outgoing
>
> I was user not root (little sigh), but I lost a lot of data.. Is there
> ANYWAY to recover all the lost files in /home/me ???

Remount the affected partition read-only (yet another reason to create
multiple system partitions, BTW).  This will prevent any further changes
to the system.

Gnu Midnight Commander (mc or gmc) is alleged to have some data recovery
potential.  You might want to investigate this.

Generally speaking, file deletion is a pretty definitive act under
Linux.

There are data recovery firms which specialize in retrieving lost data.
If the data are sufficiently important to you, you may want to get a
quote.

Backups are good.  Early and often.