Re: some questions

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 11:28:52AM +0300, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> 1. When using a network adapter whose driver is compiled as a module -
> where does this module get loaded?
> I currently added a simple modprobe line to /etc/init.d/networking , but
> there has to be a better way. On RedHat loading this module is done by the
> ifup script.

Edit /etc/modules to include the name of the modules, and options;
i.e. "parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7"  (make sure you add them in the order
they should to be loaded).  Then run "update-modules" and a new
/etc/modules.conf will be created.

> 2. Queries about existing packages:
> rpm -q gives a very useful cmmand-line interface for the rpm
> system. Things like:
> rpm -qflc /usr/bin/foo
> #lists all config file of the package to which /usr/bin/foo belongs
>
> dpkg seems more limited here. Is there any simple way to achive similar
> goals with debian? Any way without too much shell witchcraft?

Well, all debian packages put their config files in /etc.
If you do "dpkg --help", the command options are listed.  One is:

dpkg -L|--listfiles <package-name> ...  list files `owned' by package(s)

So if you wanted to only list the config files for, e.g. exim, you
could do something like "dpkg -L exim|grep /etc".

apt-get is another, powerful, command-line package management tool.

> 3. Anything similar to "status" of init.d scripts?
> On RedHat running an init.d script with the parameter "status" gives a
> simple status of that service. On most cases it checks for a process with
> the PID listed in the /var/run file of the service, but in some cases
> (e.g. suid, IIRC) the script is a bit different, as that serivce has
> better ways to give status.
> Any debian equivalent?

I don't know about this one.

> 4. manipulating rc?.d
> On RedHat there's a simple program called chkconfig for simple
> manipulations of the symlinks in the rc?.d directories. It gets its
> default values from some lines in the init.d scrip itself and has --add
> and --remove . The update-rc.d seems to be only useful for package
> installation and package removal.
> I can always change those symlinks manually, but this can be a bit
> erro-prone.

What manipulations, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?  I have
successfully used update-rc.d to have xdm available on my system,
but not have it run on boot (this way remote machines can get an
xdm login screen, but the system defaults to a text-login).

> 5. Single-user mode loads a whole bunch of stuff that are not really
> needed.
> What is the recomended way to load "failsafe" defaults? Using a floppy?

What is the stuff that you don't need?  (I'm not an expert on this).

HTH.
--
David Karlin
dkarlin@coloradomtn.edu