Sound configuration

What is the proper way to setup Sound in Debian?

I have an es1371 card.  I have used modconf to select the es1371 module and
run update-modules.  Is there anything else that is required?

It seems that esound (using helixcode gnome) doesnt like my config...
because it reports that I don't have a sound card.  (I am in the audio
group)

Is ALSA easier to use?  If  so , what packages do I install... because I
can't seem to get the drivers installed.

tj.herring@autozone.com