Re: Disk performance when installing packages

:: On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:19:29 -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com said:

>> I was wondering if anyone else notices this when installing or
>> removing packages: the disk is heavily used (like when the cron
>> scripts are triggered in the morning) for some time (depending on
>> the number and size of the packages),
>> [ ... ]

> First, you don't have scads of RAM for running Gnome -- I tend to avoid
> it with a slower box (PII 180) and more RAM (96MB), and don't
> particularly care for it at work (PIII-450/128).

Well... I'm alredy soused to it... :-)  It's not too slow (if I don't
try to run too many Gnome applictions)

> Above
> all that, IDE performance tends to suck a whole lot more CPU juice than
> SCSI does (I run SCSI on two of three disks).

Oh, well... But SCSI disks are absolutely expensive... :-(

Anyway, I don't see too much CPU work when the disk is being heavily
used... (Not after I managed to make UDMA66 work)
Maybe this s a swap problem...

> You might want to launch
> a couple of system monitoring tools.  My preferences are wmmon and asmon
> under WindowMaker, though top will give some raw measures.  Not sure
> what you can turn to for disk I/O and realtime swap usage.  Anyone?
> Hmmm... xosview is butt ugly but damned useful, it might be helpful
> also.

Thank you. I'll install xosview later.

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil