Re: FAT32 issues

> Matthew D Davis wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have my system setup to dual boot win2k and Debian 2.3.  I would
> like to be able to access my large fat32 partition from both
> OSes.  Whenever I mount the drive from the prompt or out of fstab
> (options are default,user, error=read-only) ownership by user/group
> depends on who mounts the drive.  This is fine, and I can read data
> from the partition, but I cannot write even as root.  When I attempt
> to write anything to the partition, I get an "operation not permitted"
>
> Needless to say, I'd like to write to the drive, because I spend most
> of my time in linux, but I would like to share my documents and mp3s
> and such with both OSes...
>
> Any help is appreciated,
>
> Matt
If your WIN2K file system is actually FAT32 then use:
mount -t vfat /dev/yourdrive  /yourmountpoint

I think that unless you did a custom install WIN2k most likely used NTFS
as it's file system...I do not know of any "SAFE" method for mounting
NTFS systems directly in Linux. Good Luck and please post your results.
Thanks.
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173