Installing X help

I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out with a problem I'm
having with X.

As usual I've screwed up part of my Linux system. I was trying to update
from KDE/X 3.3.5 to Gnome and X 3.3.6. After removing all evidence of X and
KDE, I tried installing X with the binaries on their site, but I ran into an
ldconfig problem complaining about a lack of Xaw3d. Same story when trying
this with .deb packages.

Any chance this is a common problem? Is there at least another route I can
take to getting X going again?

Thanks for any help,
Chris