Re: Dvorak keyboard layout

John S. J. Anderson wrote:

> Owen> Can someone tell me how to switch to the Dvorak keyboard layout?
> Owen> I dimly recall the debian boot diskette asking to choose a
> Owen> keyboard layout, but I don't know how to change it on an
> Owen> installed system.
>
> The answers from others should work for console, but if you need to do
> this under X, you need to use xmodmap to remap the keys. I've got a
> xmodmap file to do this; mail me if you'd like it.
>
> john.

I've gotten it to work by changing /etc/XF86Config to use the
dvorak layout:

3.3.x: In the section "Keyboard"
XkbSymbols     "qwertydvorak(generic101)"

Where /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/qwertydvorak is a combination
of the basic dvorak layout and the "us" layout's special keys (like
more modifer-keys, functionkeys, keypad, etc). I can provide the
file upon request. (Is there a better way to do this?)

4.0.x: In the section "InputDevice" with identifier "keyboard"
Option  "XkbLayout"  "dvorak(basic)"

In 4.0.x, the default dvorak configuration is similar to 3.3.x, but the
modifer keys and friends work somehow...hmm... I still need to look into
this more.

I'd like to see what you have John, I could use that on the X
terminals st school..

My .02

--
( Mike Brownlow | http://wsmake.org/~mike/ | http://wsmake.org/ )
( "A scorner seeketh wisdom, and findeth it not: but knowledge  )