PPP Rx errors...

Hello,

I recently migrated from SuSE 6.4 to Debian potato...and I am having some problems with my PPP connection.

Under SuSE my connection worked flawlessly and I was able to use  SuSE firewall to share it among my home network with little effort. However, under Debian I have been unable to get a quality ppp connection. With both setups I am using wvdial...and the se
ttings are identical(well almost)...

The problem is that on the debian setup I can barely pull up most complex web pages, they time out and I have to keep hitting reload to get all of the page. When I check /proc/net/dev I am getting close to 20% Rx/frame errors. With large single file downl
oads the Rx errors drop to <5%...but are still there and still occassionaly cause problems.

On the SuSE setup (which is the same box, same modem, same cables, just different distrib (i am dual booting between them while i migrate), but I have no Rx errors...and pages/dls pull up fine.

I have compared the configurations in /etc/ppp, version numbers of ppp and wvdial, and looked through countless other possibilities but have been unable to find a possible cause.... or difference between the two distributions.

I have tried changing /etc/serial.conf...but it seemed to have no effect...

I have tried changing MTUs and MRUs in /etc/ppp/options...

I have tried using pon and poff instead of wvdial...

and I have scanned the web and list archives...

but I have been unable to find a solution.

Any help/suggestions/ideas would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-sean