NFS mounted /usr

I'm trying to build a small lan and being a bit short on HD space (250MB to
500MB tops) I wanted to have /home /usr and so forth be NFS mounted. I'm
currently having a problem in which the /usr partition that is exported is
corrupted by the client machine (broke exim when I installed ssmtp for
example).

Since I have obviously done something wrong in this I was wondering if
anyone could point me to some instructions for getting /usr to be ignored by
dpkg/apt/... in package installations.

TIA

--
AIM: FDragon666			ICQ: 9333698

Today is Prickle-Prickle, day 63 in the season of Confusion, 3166.

Mother is the invention of necessity.