Re: same debian, new hardware?

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 06:03:41PM -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:

> 4) Physically install the old hard drives in the new machine.

> 4) This would be nice, but can it be done? My hard drives are old and small.

Sure.

> Also they are sitting on a SCSI card, is this a good thing or a bad thing?
> The SCSI card is probably ISA, can I stick it in a new machine and hope
> it will work? If someone can suggest how to make this work then I would

It should.  The main thing I can think of that would stop it would be
resource conflicts, but you should be able to reconfigure to avoid them.

An approach you didn't mention would be to keep both machines running and
network them then copy and share things over the network.

> I know this is a linux forum, but I'm also interested in moving Windows
> to the new machine. Presumably this means I have to reinstall it?

That's probably easiest and safest thing to do.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/