Re: char-major-6

>>>>> "Erik" == Erik Mathisen <erik@mathisen.homeip.net> writes:

Erik> I keep getting this stupid error in my syslog: modprobe: can't
Erik> locate module char-major-6

Erik> now i searched my system, I dont have that module, how do I get
Erik> this error to stop?  It puts 2 or 3 entries in the log a minute.

6 is the major device number for the parallel ports (ie. printer).
You probably don't have char-major-6.o :-), but do you have lp.o?  If
so add this line to /etc/modutils/aliases:

alias char-major-6 lp

then run /sbin/update-modules.  That should stop the annoyance.
However, maybe a more pertinent question would be, what/who is trying
to access the port?

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source