Re: [why is kernel recompilation necessary?]

Yes but what I'm wondering is not why linux users recompile their kernels,
or why windows users can't, but how is it that windows users get away with
not having to? The closest answer I got is that windows kernels have
a bunch of drivers already compiled in, and any additional drivers
compiled as modules. What I'm still not clear on is whether either
windows or linux kernels (or both) need to have some sort of hooks
enabling them to expect whatever modules at runtime, or not.
For example, if I build a new device and write a driver for it,
can I add support for this device to both windows and linux without
having to modify either kernel? -chris