Unidentified subject!

Folks,

I have a question from a buddy who asks the following question,
which I could not help him with. I have had wonderful support,
I hope one of you can help him.

Send flames to me for any lack of information, I'll ask him for what
you need. It ain't his fault ;)

Please send answers to both of us. stiles@cs.wcu.edu, dbt@cs.wcu.edu

Victor asks:

. I am trying to compile a very minimal Linux kernel for a 486 with
. limited memory and disk space. It will just be a simple networking
. gateway.

. I have compiled a monolithic kernel that seems to run
. ok but it has a small problem...

. The rc.sysinit script invokes the command:

. mount -a -t nonfs, smbfs, ncpfs, proc

. This produces an error message:

. mount: fs type devpts not supported by kernel
.
. This error message results from attempting
. to mount the nonfs filesystem mentioned in this
. mount command.
.
. The mount man page says that something is mounted on /dev/pts but
. I don't know what that is.
.
. Can you tell me what filesystem, or other support
. needs to be included in the kernel configuration to
. fix this, or is it even needed?

. Thanks,
. Victor Stiles
. e-mail me at
. victor@webworkz.com or
. stiles@cs.wcu.edu

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I hope this is all of the above.)