Re: Crontab

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 pauld@netwise.net.au wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just got a couple of queries about the use of cron. Firstly, is
> it what I should be using it for automated execution or is there
> something better? Secondly, what should I be doing from a security
> point of view, is it fine to have root running automated commands if
> root access is needed for the commands? And last of all, how
> extensively do people use this? Is it something people use to
> routinely check mail services are running, check mail queues, proxies
> etc?

	Where I work, cron runs everything. We have the entire department
automated, between generating web pages, to backing up logs. We have about
10 crons on about 5 workstations keeping things working.

	Mike

"To listen to the words of the learned, and to instill into others the
lessons of science, is better than religious exercises."
		-- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)