Re: Help(!) with Slink install -- disk repartitioning problem

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 11:41:55PM -0400, Christopher Lee wrote

> *cc me on any replys, since I am not subscribed to debian-user*
>
> Please read this if you know something about hard-disk partitioning,
> and think you can tell us where the "mystery 2 Gigs" went.  My wife is
> a little stressed-out that I may be messing-up her computer....
>
> I'm installing Slink on my wife's laptop (I have the CDs lying around,
> and will upgrade it to Potato later).  She has a HP Omnibook 4150
> Laptop with a 10Gig HD running Windows 95, which I am modifying to
> work as a dual-boot machine.

[snip]

The long and the short of it is that cfdisk doesn't deal
properly with disks over 8Gb; you should use the comand line
fdisk to create the partition, just as you used it to delete the
fips'd partition.  Don't forget to create a swap partition, as
well as a Linux partition.

If you do so, you may then want to select "Partition a Hard
Disk" but quit cfdisk without making any changes, to con the
installer into taking you to the next step ("Initialize a swap
partition").

Because you are installing beyond the area supporeted by
conventional BIOSes, booting Linux directly from the hard disk
may take a little work (booting from Windows using loadlin
should be fine); be sure to make a boot floppy when prompted
rather than/instead of installing Lilo on your hard disk, so
that you can reboot your new system.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au