Re: chroot bind in debian

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> Hey all.  I'm looking for some documentation on setting up chroot bind
> (for security reasons) on a potato system.  Specifically I'm looking for
> info on exactly how to accomplish it and how well the Debian package
> system will handle the changes wheneven bind is upgraded.  Can anybody
> point me to such resources?  Thanks.

No other documentation than dpkg(8) and chroot(8) :). I myself have been
running bind in a chroot-ed environment (it really had a nasty security
hole). What I did was:

	1. cd to the chroot point
	2. tar xvfz
<debian_dist_dir>/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/base2_1.tgz
	3. dpkg --instdir=<chroot_point> -G -i bind_<...>
	And then set up some other utilities needed by bind
(e.g. sendmail, (ana)cron, ...).

Hope I help,
Pavel