Re: upgrading helix-gnome stuff

Hi Brian,

Quoth Brian May,
> when upgrading to the latest helix-gnome debs from within helix-gnome,
> often weird things happen to my X-Server.  Often, for instance my
> computer constantly beeps at me, until I push Alt+Backspace, and force
> it to restart. Once, my whole console locked up, and I had to log in
> remotely (None of the hot keys worked).

I have also observed this behaviour, and as far as I can work out, it
comes from sawfish (the default helix window-manager) not allowing
itself to be upgraded gracefully.

The best way that I have found to get around this is to log out of X
(and into the GDM login screen) and then run the apt-get upgrade from a
console.

If anyone has any better suggestions, I'd be interested to hear about
them. It's pretty annoying, especially with something updated as
frequently as sawfish.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony

- Running Debian GNU/Linux: Doing my bit for World Domination (tm) -