superformat not working in potato?

Hello,

Previously, I just typed in the following:

--- cut ---
[501] [snoopy:bam] ~ >superformat /dev/fd0
Measuring drive 0's raw capacity
In order to avoid this time consuming measurement in the future,
add the following line to /etc/driveprm:
drive0: deviation=142074
CAUTION: The line is drive and controller specific, so it should be
removed before installing a new drive 0 or floppy controller.

Not enough raw space on this disk for this format
--- cut ---

but on potato it doesn't work. So I tried (from the man page):

--- cut ---
[502] [snoopy:bam] ~ >superformat /dev/fd0 hd
Measuring drive 0's raw capacity
In order to avoid this time consuming measurement in the future,
add the following line to /etc/driveprm:
drive0: deviation=141434
CAUTION: The line is drive and controller specific, so it should be
removed before installing a new drive 0 or floppy controller.

Not enough raw space on this disk for this format
--- cut ---

and

--- cut ---
[503] [snoopy:bam] ~ >superformat /dev/fd0u1440
Measuring drive 0's raw capacity
In order to avoid this time consuming measurement in the future,
add the following line to /etc/driveprm:
drive0: deviation=141114
CAUTION: The line is drive and controller specific, so it should be
removed before installing a new drive 0 or floppy controller.

Not enough raw space on this disk for this format
--- cut ---

nothing works :-(

So, some questions:

a) why is the suggested value of deviation different each time? Which
one should I use? What is the deviation?

b) why can't a format a disk? Is this because:

  - the disk is faulty (I don't think it gets as far as writing
    to the disk...).

  - the disk drive is faulty?

  - superformat is faulty and needs replacement? Perhaps superformat
    has the wrong configuration for the diskdrive? I couldn't find
    any config files though...

  - the operator is faulty and needs replacement?

The disk drive is a standard 14.4kbps drive.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>