Re: Tape backup software?

Krzys Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> Tar!
> -chris
>
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Kelly Corbin wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had much experience w/ tape backup in Linux?  I am looking
> > for tape backup software and was wondering if anyone knew which was the
> > "best".  Any input would be appreciated.  It would be for an ATAPI tape
> > backup drive.  THANKS!

With Linux the device doesn't really matter in most cases, so your
question boils down to what is a good backup solution.  The answer
depends on the situation (as always ;-).

I'm using tob with afio to backup my users (all ten or so of them).
Wrote some simple scripts for monthly full, weekly differential and
daily incremental backups and things work just fine.  The archives
are written to external HD right now, but I may change to CD-RW or
MO disk.

You may also want to look at dump, taper, kbackup, afbackup and/or
amanda.  The latter two seemed a bit overkill in my situation.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development