RE: Back up ideas???

Well, I have a Linux box in our department where all are M$ boxes. I
installed samba (2.0.7) and used cron to mount the shared M$ folders and
tar'ed the mounted filesystems into backup directories on the Linux box.
This was done during lunch when I was quite certain the M$ machines were not
in use. Again, after the backup process was completed, I used cron to umount
the mounted filesystems and executed a killall -9 smbmount to ensure that
all smbmount's have been 'killed' (I discovered that if the smbmount process
was still running when the next backup routine executed, I get an error and
the backup process just doesn't complete). Hoped that helped and I suppose
you can do the same for the Mac box.

A word of advise though, the 'shared' folders on the M$ boxes had to be
shared 'read-only' to 'The World', as for some reason, sharing by username
did not allow the Linux box to 'see' the contents in the mounted shared
folders.

Patrick Cheong

Where do you want to go today?
As far away from Redmond