emu10k1 in debian

Hi I don't know if I ask this before but if so I'm sorry it's just that
I can't make things work. I have 2 problems with Debian kernel 2.2.15:

1.-  I'm trying to compile the driver for my Sound Blaster Live! with
the open source's emu10k120000722 but in the Makefile there are several
lines that make reference to

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h

But I don't have those files and I don't know what their equivalents
are.

The problem 1 cames 'cause of problem 2:
I can't modify the sound properties in Audio Mixer of Gnome-Helix cause
I get this error message:
"No mixers found.
Make sure you have sound support compiled into the kernel"

But I checked with # cat /dev/sndstat and this is the output:
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux localhost 2.2.15 #1 Thu Jun 1 10:47:16 EST 2000 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 0: Creative EMU10K1 (0.4)

Card config:
(Sound Blaster Live! at 0xb000 irq 9)

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster Live! (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
Not supported by current driver

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster Live!

Timers:
0: System Clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster Live!

So I thought it could be a better chance for me to make sound work
properly if I upgrade to the newest driver so... I have problem number
1.

Please any suggestions are welcome since I've been trying and I can't
make it work.
2 weeks ago I had a similar trouble with /dev/dsp and it turns out to be
the >>esd<< must be loaded before gpm. Could this be something like
that?

Thanks in advance.