Re: cannot talk with AT modem

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 11:53:02AM -0700, Tomasz Barszczak wrote
> > Having the modem recognize the Hayes AT command language is not a reliable
> > indicator.  Many winmodem drivers have an AT command interpreter to
> > satisfy older programs.
>
> When I bought the modem I was assured it is not a winmodem
> (software modem) but a hardware modem.
> I also searched the web and it seems it is not a winmodem.
>
> > According to the USRobitics web site, this is a PCI modem device; are you
> > able to open the case on your computer to verify that?
>
> Yes it is a PCI modem, I am sure of this.
>
> > The contents of the file /proc/pci will also tell us if this is a PCI
> > modem.
>
> I don't really understand output, but typing by hand what seems
> to be relevant:
>
> PCI devices found:
>   Bus 0, device 11, function 0:
>     Serial controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
>       Vendor id=12b9. Device id=1008.
>       Medium devsel. IRQ 5.
>       I/O at 0xd400
> There are 5 more devices:
>   Multimedia audio controller, vendor 1274(Ensoniq) device 5800
>   IDE interface, vendor 1022(AMD) device 7409
>   ISA bridge, vendor 1022 device 7408
>   PCI bridge, vendor 1022 device 7007
>   Host bridge, vendor 1022 device 7006

Because it's at a non-standard location, Linux will probably
need you to locate it & configure the driver "by hand".

Does running the command
# setserial -b /dev/ttyS5 io 0xd400 irq 5

help at all?  If it does, you can add this to
/etc/init.d/setserial to get it run at each boot.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au