Keyboard fails *only* in X

Greetings.

I just installed a new power supply in my box.  (The fan in the old
one had died.)  After reconnecting everything, I have two detectable
problems:  my floppy disk isn't recognized, which I don't care about
in any immediate way, and my keyboard works only in a VT.

That is, I can boot up and LILO recognizes my commands, but xdm
freezes absolutely.  If I boot with "linux single" I can work fine in
VTs, but starting X freezes the keyboard.

I know the keyboard is freezing because the Caps Lock and Num Lock
keys, which work fine in a VT or during the console-mode part of
bootup, stop working once XDM loads.

How could installing a new power supply screw up the keyboard, and
only in X?

Running potato (apt-get upgrade-ed yesterday) on a homebuilt Cyrix
M2-based system, w/AT style keyboard.  The "X" above is XFree86 as of
whatever the upgrade was yesterday.  I'm sending this by telnetting
to my ISP.

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net