erratic ps/2 mouse behavior

I have installed debian potato on a 600Mhz Athlon system and have been
having problems with the mouse:

the problem is most noticable in X but also occurs in the console with
gpm,

when i move the mouse it will at times go out of control, the pointer
starts jumping around the screen extremely fast with the buttons going
off randomly (i am not clicking the mouse buttons, but the windowmaker
menu, and window menus appear and my workspaces are switched around
when the mouse `clicks' my windowmaker clip several times, it has even
dragged icons off the dock and thrown them away)

the pointer usually ends up in the upper right corner of the screen
but it jumps around so fast i can only see where it has been by where
menus pop up and windows get closed etc.  it is exceedingly annoying.

i have tried disabling gpm, with no effect, furthermore this problem
DOES occur in gpm without X and X without gpm, and with both running.

i have also tried 3 seperate mice, 2 three button, one 2 button. all
exhibit this problem.

the mouse only starts going into these `fits' when i use it, it never
does this when the mouse is sitting idle.

it appears to go into these fits more often when i move the mouse
faster, but moving the mouse at all (even slowly) still triggers it
(just not quite as often)

X and gpm are configured for ps/2 mouse at /dev/mouse (symlink to
/dev/psaux) i am using the same configuration on two other intel
systems with no such troubles.

here is my gpm.conf, but note that i have disabled GPM and still had
these problems in X:

device=/dev/mouse
responsiveness=15
repeat_type=
type=ps2
append="-3 -a 3 -d 5 -l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""

and here is my X config:

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "PS/2"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   Resolution      100
   Buttons         3
EndSection

the 2 seperate mice were all different brands, the one i am using now
is a 3 button Logitech PS/2.

i am at a loss, i have NEVER seen anything like this before, any ideas?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/