Re: PNP hardware and dual boot machine.

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 04:06:34PM -0400, adam b. wrote
> isapnptools works okay, probably.
>
> I have gotten cards to recognize and load drivers, but I have never gotten
> them actually working before giving up.
>
> Be prepared to edit long config files from pnpdump and also you must know
> free IRQs, IO hexes, and Memory ranges for all your devices.  They will
> probe, but he'll come up with like 5 or 6 viable configurations, only 1 or
> 2 of which might actually work (especially if you have a commercial
> machine-in-a-box).  Also, you _may_ have to put your devices in
> Memory-Mapped mode (I've heard rumors to that effect).  In this case, you
> have to find a free memory range that's in the on-limits range for Debian.
> Not too hard, but get the range from Debian.org before you go killing
> things.

Well, if you already have Win95 installed it's not that bad; you
can use Window's autoprobing to do the work for you.  Open
Control Panel -> System, click on the Device Manager (? working
from memory here) tab, find your PnP devices in the list, write
down what works for Windows; reboot, use that configuration in
/etc/isapnp.conf.  I've yet to see a device that requires a
memory-mapped area (other than for ROM or video memory, anyway).

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au