Re: About display

Hi,
Nianwei Xing writes:
> Hi,
> I am a new debian user and after finish the
> installation,I got a question about display. I want to
> work on another unix machine, after "xhost" and
> "telnet", I use the command: export DISPLAY=my machine
> name:0.0 and then when I want to use some program, it
> is message like this: Cannot open display: my machine
> name:0.0.
> Anyone know how to fix this problem? Any information
> is appreciated.

(1) To fix this, you need to allow other clients to access your
    display.  The setting of the DISPLAY environment variable only
    tells the remote machine which display to use.  To allow you
    display to be accessed, you need to type

	$ xhost + <remote machine>

    Use "xhost - <remote machine>" to deny access from a remote host.

    Note that this is immensly insecure!

(2) Therefore, if you have the option, use "ssh" (secure shell).  This
    program enscrpyts the connection and automatically forwards the X
    connections (if configured to do so on the remote machine).  This
    way you are the only one who may access you display and you don't
    have to muck with other settings.

Cheers -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
** I am the captain of this ship and I have my wife's permission to say so! **