Re: How do I install gnome on potato?

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 11:20:25AM -0700, rickloga@athenet.net wrote:

> I recently upgraded to Potato and want to use gnome. I am using
> the command line interface only. How do I install gnome? I

You do not have X Windows installed apparently?

> read in the mail list archives that there are 3 choices: gnome,
> debian, and xsession. But, I did not understand the differences.

Not sure what you mean here, but it's nowhere near that simple.
There are many many options.

> I also do not understand the difference between gdm vs xdm,

gdm and xdm do the same thing (almost).  Instead of the terminal
giving you a login prompt, gdm or xdm does it graphically with X.

> gnome-panel, gnome-session. When I apt-get gnome I get not found.

gnome-panel is part of gnome.  gnome-session is the program to run in
place of the window manager in your .xsession file (stuff in that
file is run when X starts).

Try apt-get task-gnome-desktop.  You might also consider the Helix
gnome package.  Simply add the line:

# Helix GNOME
deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main

to /etc/apt/sources.list and then apt-get update ; apt-get
task-helix-core task-helix-gnome (also optionally
task-helix-gnome-dev)

Note that I have potato and am running Helix gnome made for woody
just fine.

> When I search on the forzen packages for gnome I do not get
> the gdm, gnome-session, or gnome-panel packages. So, what are

Hmm, where are you searching, the debian website, dselect...?

> my choices and how do I implement the choices? I downloaded
> the gnome user guide but it has nothing about installing. Is
>
> there a HOWTO somewhere on installing gnome?

Hope that helps.

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

Reader, suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of
Congress.  But I repeat myself.
                -- Mark Twain