Re: [Q] virus susceptibility data

>>>>> "," == , Ted Harding <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk> writes:

    ,> A line of virus which might well be possible, and
    ,> platform-independent, is the planting of Java in HTML. This
    ,> could hit UNIX/Linux and Windows equally, though I haven't
    ,> heard of it on Linux. A lot of Linux MUAs can open HTML
    ,> attachments in Netscape, though usually not automatically (the
    ,> user has to choose).

For another potential platform independent security problem in
HTML[1], see:

http://www.zope.org/Members/jim/ZopeSecurity/ClientSideTrojan

this a bit different though, as you can't breach the security of your
computer, just other web sites where you have non-standard privileges
(whether this is based on IP address, HTTP authorisation, or cookie
based scheme - did I miss anything?).

Footnote:
[1] I will blame HTML for it here, but technically, you could argue it
isn't HTML's fault.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>